ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos have placed kicker Brandon McManus and punter Sam Martin on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, putting their availability for the team's regular-season finale in doubt.
Over the past week, the Broncos have placed more than a dozen players on the reserve list, including key starters like Bradley Chubb, Jerry Jeudy and Bobby Massie. On Sunday, the Broncos had 13 members of the active roster on the list sidelined for their Week 17 game against the Chargers.
Individuals who test positive can return after clearing a five-day quarantine, or, if they are vaccinated, they can test out of it sooner by returning negative tests in protocols outlined in an NFL memo. They also "must be cleared by team doctor in consultation with ICS Infection Control for Sports] and NFL,” [according to NFL.com.
Since 2015, McManus has missed just one game, which was also due to COVID protocols. Martin has not missed a game since joining the Broncos in 2020 and has missed just six in his nine-year career.
Denver also promoted two practice-squad players — defensive end Jonathan Harris and wide receiver Seth Williams — to the active roster. Harris and Williams were both elevated from the practice squad for Sunday's game and impressed Fangio, as he said Monday morning.
"I was pleased with the competitiveness and the play of all those guys [who filled in for recent Reserve/COVID-19 list additions] overall really, but with [ILB] Micah [Kiser] and Jonathan being two of the better ones on defense," Fangio said. "I thought Seth Williams came in and made a play, which I was confident he would, but I think Seth has made a lot of progress over the last month on the practice field and it showed in the game."
Harris tallied eight tackles and one quarterback hit, and Williams had one catch for 34 yards, which was the first reception of his career.
The team also released defensive linemen Carlo Kemp and Deyon Sizer from the practice squad.