ENGLEWOOD, Colo.** – The Broncos, sans pads, were back at practice at Dove Valley on Saturday for their first practice since their preseason win over the Seahawks.
Montee Ball was at practice but did not participate (appendectomy). Chase Vaughn (knee), Greg Latta (hip), C.J. Anderson (concussion symptoms), Emmanuel Sanders (quadriceps) and Louis Young (groin) did not participate. Malik Jackson was excused from practice for personal reasons.
- Peyton Manning attempted to connect with Andre Caldwell on a seam route down the right side during the Broncos' first set of team drills, but Aqib Talib was a menace deep and knocked it out of Caldwell's hands as he attempted to bring it in.
- Manning and Caldwell connected for a touchdown later in the day off a corner route.
- Marvin Austin, who sacked Tavaris Jackson on Thursday night, continued to make plays. He deflected a pass and Lerentee McCray was able to come up with the interception, which he ran in for a touchdown.
- A couple of plays later, Brock Osweiler was picked off in the end zone by John Boyett.
- Linebacker Brandon Marshall had a productive day today, stopping Brennan Clay from racking up big gains on a few occasions.
- Jerodis Williams had one of the runs of the day. After receiving the handoff from Zac Dysert, Williams racked up big yardage around the left edge. The next play, he cut left and found a small hole for a few extra yards.
- Shaquil Barrett got to Dysert for what is considered a "sack" in practice.
- Osweiler connected with Cody Latimer on consecutive plays during red zone drills, one was a dart that he caught near the goal line and he was tackled by Lamin Barrow and Corey Nelson.
- Nelson later made an impressive play when both he and Greg Hardin went up for the ball, but Nelson broke it up, forcing an incompletion.
- Jordan Sullen made a key touchdown-preventing play in the end zone when he broke up Dysert's pass intended for Bennie Fowler.
- Nathan Palmer had the catch of the day. Palmer pulled in and one-handed grab, off a great pass from Osweiler, while David Bruton was covering him for a big gain.
- Chris Harris Jr. participated in some team drills.
- Montee Ball attended practice and encouraged his teammates as they went through individual drills.
- The team was not in pads today.