ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos released their initial depth chart for the 2019 season on Monday ahead of their preseason opener against the Atlanta Falcons on Aug. 1.
The team's depth chart is subject to change each week, but it does provide a few answers about where Head Coach Vic Fangio's team stands heading into the first week of the preseason.
To view the team's depth chart, click here.
Some initial observations:
- Rookie Drew Lock earned more second-team reps during practices last week, but he remains behind Kevin Hogan on the depth chart. Hogan is listed as Joe Flacco's backup, while Lock and Brett Rypien are third and fourth team, respectively.
- First-round pick Noah Fant has earned second-team honors a few weeks into his NFL career. The Iowa product has taken plenty of reps with Flacco and the first team, and his work was acknowledged on the initial depth chart. Jeff Heuerman is listed as the starter, and Troy Fumagalli is currently the third-string tight end. Fumagalli is followed by Jake Butt, Austin Fort and Bug Howard, sequentially. Both Butt (knee) and Howard (ankle) are designated as injured.
- Running back Phillip Lindsay has retained his starting status. Royce Freeman is the second-team running back and fourth-year player Devontae Booker is listed as third-team.
- The starting offensive line — Garett Bolles (LT), Dalton Risner (LG), Connor McGovern (C), Ron Leary (RG), Ja'Wuan James (RT) — has appeared set for weeks. The initial depth chart, though, provides some clarity for the second string. Elijah Wilkinson (LT), Sam Jones (LG), Jake Brendel (C), Don Barclay (RG) and Jake Rodgers (RT) currently hold those positions.
- Starting linebacker Todd Davis (calf) is listed as injured on the team's initial depth chart, and second-year player Alexander Johnson is listed as his backup. Josh Watson, an undrafted free agent, is listed as the third-team linebacker at that position. Joseph Jones is currently the second-team linebacker behind Josey Jewell.
- Rookie Justin Hollins is listed as a second-team outside linebacker behind Bradley Chubb, while Dekoda Watson is listed behind Von Miller. Hollins took first-team snaps across from Chubb during Saturday's practice, as both Miller and Watson did not practice. Hollins has also worked at inside linebacker for the Broncos.
- Rookie Dre'Mont Jones has earned a spot as a second-team defensive end. Four of the team's six 2019 draft picks are listed on the two-deep.
- Chris Harris Jr. (LCB), Bryce Callahan (RCB), Kareem Jackson (SS), Justin Simmons (FS) comprise the starting secondary. Isaac Yiadom (LCB), De'Vante Bausby (RCB), Su'a Cravens (SS) and Will Parks (FS) are listed as their primary backups.
- River Cracraft is listed as a fifth-team wide receiver, but he is currently the team's starting punt returner and backup kick returner. He is backed up at punt returner by DaeSean Hamilton, Brendan Langley and Kelvin McKnight. Devontae Booker is the team's starting kick returner.
- Emmanuel Sanders, Davis, Butt and Howard are the only players who were given injury designations on the team's initial depth chart.