ENGLEWOOD, Colo. --With a chance to lock up a first-round bye this Sunday, the Broncos received more good news on Wednesday.
Five Broncos have been selected to the 2013 Pro Bowl.
Quarterback Peyton Manning, cornerback Champ Bailey and linebacker Von Miller have all been voted starters for the all-star game. Defensive end Elvis Dumervil and tackle Ryan Clady are also headed to Honolulu.
Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas is a first-alternate for the game. Guards Chris Kuper (2nd) and Zane Beadles (3rd), wide receiver Eric Decker (5th) and special teamers David Bruton (3rd) and Britton Colquitt (3rd) are also alternates.
|BRONCOS PRO BOWL SELECTIONS|
- Manning's 12 Pro Bowl selections are the most for a quarterback in NFL history. He is also the first quarterback to make a Pro Bowl one year removed from missing a full season due to injury or illness.
- On the honor: "It's a tremendous honor and I am very humbled to receive this recognition. Being voted to the Pro Bowl by your opponents, their coaches and of course the fans means a great deal to me, especially when you consider how many other quarterbacks in the AFC are having outstanding seasons. This recognition shows that our offensive line did a great job with protection. It shows that our wide receivers and tight ends made a lot of plays."
CB CHAMP BAILEY
- Bailey now holds the record for most Pro Bowls by a defensive back in NFL history. He was a four-time Pro Bowler with Washington before making the all-star game eight times as a Bronco.
- On the honor: "I've done my thing over the years, but when you're on a team like this and you play well, people are going to notice. It's really just part of my team and what we've done. That's pretty much why I'm in there. It's definitely a team thing."
LB VON MILLER
- The reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year is now the first player in franchise history to make a Pro Bowl in each of his first two seasons.
- On the honor: "It's cool. I think our eyes are on something a little bit bigger than the Pro Bowl. But it's great to be voted in by your peers."
ALL-TIME PRO BOWL SELECTIONS RANK PLAYER NO. 1 Bruce Matthews 14 Merlin Olsen 14 3 Jerry Rice 13 Reggie White 13 Tony Gonzalez 13 5 Champ Bailey 12 Peyton Manning 12 Ray Lewis 12 Randall McDaniel 12 Will Shields 12
DE ELVIS DUMERVIL
- Dumervil is just the second player since 2000 to make back-to-back Pro Bowls after missing a season due to injury or illness. He joins then-Vikings center Matt Birk with that distinction.
- On the honor: "It's a blessing. It wasn't all pretty all year but I give thanks to the coaching staff, the fans, the guys I play with -- my teammates. I'm not just representing myself but I'm representing guys that have been a part of it, from everybody in the building, the turf guys to equipment -- everybody."
T RYAN CLADY
- Clady becomes the fourth offensive lineman in NFL history to start every possible game and make it to three Pro Bowls in his first five seasons.
- On the honor: "It feels pretty good. I worked hard this offseason and hard work pays off. I'm glad I was able to be selected. Being selected back-to-back seasons is pretty solid."