ENGLEWOOD, Colo. - ** With both teams donning pads, Day 2 of joint practice was much more physical with big plays on both sides of the field.
Danny Trevathan (lower leg), Chase Vaughn (knee), Gerell Robinson (knee), Jamar Chaney (hamstring), Kayvon Webster (ankle), Emmanuel Sanders (quad) and Virgil Green (calf strain) did not participate. Jordan Norwood (knee) and Jameson Konz (neck) left practice early. Norwood is out for the season with a torn left ACL (LINK).
- The second day of joint practice began with a red zone period. On the second play, Peyton Manning found Julius Thomas on a fade route in the left corner of the end zone. The following play, Demaryius Thomas got the better of Brandon Harris for another score on a crossing route on the right side.
- Isaiah Burse had an excellent day today, pulling in multiple touchdown catches. During that same drill, he and Brock Osweiler connected on an out route just inside the end zone and on the next play he hauled in another score.
- While Burse's practice stood out, Demaryius Thomas was Manning's go-to target throughout the day with multiple catches. During 7-on-7s, he connected with Manning for a touchdown catch on Brandon Harris. Manning later found Thomas for consecutive receptions, including one where he reached back with one hand for the snag.
- During 1-on-1s, Louis Young and EZ Nwachukwu had great battles- with Young knocking it out of his hands during one matchup and Nwachukwu hauling in a touchdown catch on another.
- Lerentee McCray dominated his opponents during 1-on-1s. Vinston Painter and Will Montgomery also found success during 1-on-1s. Chris Clark and J.J. Watt had physical battles throughout the drill.
- Nate Irving intercepted Ryan Fitzpatrick and, with a spin move, was able to gain yardage in the open field. Tony Carter picked off Case Keenum during team drills.
- Brennan Clay had a nice run for approximately 15 yards until he was eventually tackled by Eddie Pleasant.
- The Broncos' offensive line held their own against the likes of Watt and Jadeveon Clowney, allowing the Texans very few opportunities to break through and creating holes for Ronnie Hillman and C.J. Anderson.
- Cody Latimer had the play of the day as he leapt off the ground, fully extending his right hand behind him to pull in the ball in the back of the end zone as Andre Hal challenged him.
- John Boyett prevented a Texans touchdown later during red zone drills. As Anthony Denham was coming down with the ball, Boyett was aggressive and knocked it out of his hands.
- Broncos newcomers Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward had nice plays later in the day. Ward tipped a pass intended for Garrett Graham, negating what would have been about a 20 yard gain. With excellent coverage, Talib prevented a DeVier Posey catch.
- Greg Wilson, one of Brock Osweiler's favorite targets during camp, scored off a fly route with Jawanza Starling following close behind.
- Zac Dysert connected with Bennie Fowler for a deep catch downfield.
- A pass by Dysert was batted at the line by Keith Browner, and Michael Schofield caught it in stride and, without hesitation, ran the ball approximately four yards.
- Tuesday is the only day of joint practices that the teams will be in full pads.
- Montee Ball participated in a handful of team drills.