October 20-21, 2018
The 2018 Broncos Datathon presented by Zayo and Dynasty Sports will provide college students from across the state of Colorado an opportunity to showcase their data mining and analytic skills, and to compete for prizes and prestige. The Datathon, powered by The University of Denver will be held the weekend of October 20-21 across the State of Colorado and at Broncos Stadium at Mile High.
The Collegiate category is open to any students enrolled in a Colorado college or university – this includes undergraduate and graduate students.
Teams of up to four participants may register for the Datathon (individual participants are encouraged as well!). All team members must be from the same institution. Registration must be completed through the on-line portal by 6:00 p.m., Thursday, October 18th. The competition will be limited to the first 200 teams to register for each category, so sign up early!
The data set and the prompt (question to be answered) will be released at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 20th. Teams will have 12 hours to submit their answers through the portal. Submissions will be in the form of a one-page document (word doc or pdf) that answers the question and provides supporting documentation based on what the teams found in the data. Entries submitted after 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 20th, will not be considered.
Our team of judges will select the top 5 teams from each category, and qualifying teams will be notified by 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, October 21st. Teams will then have 5 hours to submit PowerPoint presentations of their results through the portal to the judging panel. (Presentations will be due at 11 a.m. on Sunday, October 21st.) Students will be invited to Broncos Stadium at Mile High to present their results to our panel of senior judges. (Teams may participate by skype for students who are unable to travel to Denver.) Presentations will be limited to 10 minutes each, with 5 minutes of questions allotted for the judges.
First, second, and third prize will be awarded in each category, with the other two qualifying teams receiving honorable mention designations.
Broncos Datathon Fast Facts
- Date: October 20-21, 2018
- Registration Deadline: October 18th at midnight
- Prizing: Roundtrip airfare for 2, Broncos tickets, lunch with Mitch Tanney (Denver Broncos Director of Analytics) and more!
- Prompt: What would you advice the Denver Broncos Coaching Staff from your data findings
- Teams must be comprised of one, two, three, or four members.
- Team members must be from the same institution (college/university).
- Once registered, teams will receive a registration number. That number must be used for the initial submission. (No names or school identification will be allowed on the document.)
- The prompt (challenge question) and data set (an Excel file) will be released at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 20th. Both will be available through the challenge portal.
- Submissions will be in the form of a single-page document (either a word doc or a pdf) and must be submitted by 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 20th. The paper must include the team's registration number, and no other identifying information.
- Our panel of judges will select the top five submission in each category. These finalists will be notified of their status by 6:00 a.m. on Sunday, October 21st.
- All finalists will have until 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, October 21st, to submit a PowerPoint presentation through the portal.
- Finalists will be invited to Broncos Stadium at Mile High to present their results to our panel of senior judges starting at noon on October 21st. Students who are unable to travel to Denver will be invited to give their presentations via Skype.
- Final presentations will be strictly limited to 10 minutes. Each presentation will be followed by a five-minute period for the judges to ask questions.
- Winners will be announced on the afternoon of Sunday, October 21st. Each category will have a first, second, and third place, with two honorable mentions.