ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – ** In preparation for Sunday's game in San Francisco, the Broncos wore pads for Tuesday's practice at Dove Valley.
Montee Ball (appendectomy), Chase Vaughn (knee), C.J. Anderson (concussion) and Greg Latta (hip) did not participate. Danny Trevathan left practice early with a left medial tibial impaction fracture.
- Wes Welker and Kayvon Webster battled during the team's first team drills. While practicing up-tempo, Welker had a short gain with Webster wrapping him up shortly after the catch. A few plays later, Peyton Manning found Welker again for about a 6-yard gain on a slant route. With the assistance of Welker, Manning had no incompletions during the first drive of practice.
- Later in practice, Manning found Welker with a perfectly timed dart in between Duke Ihenacho and Omar Bolden for approximately a 25-yard gain.
- Terrance Knighton and DeMarcus Ware stuffed Juwan Thompson at the line for little or no gain during the same drill. On the following play, Quinton Carter tackled Thompson as he attempted a run up the middle.
- Quanterus Smith had a strong day today, tackling Thompson as he almost found his way around the edge for a five-yard gain but Smith's anticipation prevented a much more significant gain. His pressure also forced Manning to throw the ball away during the final team drill.
- Kenny Anunike and Corey Nelson took down Jerodis Williams with a big hit towards the end of the day.
Check out the action from Day 20 of Broncos training camp.
- Williams had a nice run for a first down following a handoff from Zac Dysert. John Boyett, who had a few big hits on the day, knocked Williams out of bounds.
- Kapri Bibbs showed his grit as he powered through a tackle by Corey Nelson near the right sideline, finding his way past the first-down marker. The following play, Bibbs ran through a hole up the middle for another big gain.
- Manning and Julius Thomas connected on multiple occasions throughout the day. During 7-on-7s, despite good coverage by T.J. Ward, Manning found Thomas for a nice completion. Later, the two would connect for a touchdown as Thomas was marked by Ihenacho and Quinton Carter in the back of the end zone, but a flag was thrown and the play was called back.
- Offseason acquisitions T.J. Ward and Aqib Talib showed just how physical they are when they combined for a huge hit on Thompson as he ran up the right sideline after catching a lateral pass.
- Talib intercepted a pass from Manning intended for Wes Welker inside the ten by the right sideline.
- Rahim Moore picked off Brock Osweiler on a pass intended for Cody Latimer.
- Jacob Tamme continues to prove himself as a reliable pass catcher as he dove to catch an underthrown ball from Osweiler for about a 20-yard gain with Lamin Barrow right on him.
- Talib, Kayvon Webster and Nate Irving had an impressive stop during red zone drills, using their strength and physicality to prevent Thompson from plowing into the end zone and preventing a touchdown.
- Brandon Marshall showed excellent anticipation as he covered Brennan Clay in the end zone and prevented a touchdown catch. Marshall and Irving combined to tackle Ronnie Hillman a few plays later.
- Former Broncos offensive lineman Clint Oldenburg was at practice.
- Emmanuel Sanders and Tamme were both back in pads but Sanders did not participate in team drills.
- The Broncos listened to music throughout practice.
- Rookie Bradley Roby was the last player on the field working after practice. He was practicing hand moves with Hall of Famer Rod Woodson, who is working with the Broncos this summer as part of the league's Minority Coaching Fellowship.