Skip to main content

Denver Broncos | News

Presented by

#WASvsDEN postgame injury update: Bolles, Callahan exit early with injuries


DENVER — The Broncos' injury woes grew longer Sunday, as starting left tackle Garett Bolles and key defensive back Bryce Callahan left Denver's game against Washington in the fourth quarter.

Callahan was sidelined first as he went to the ground defending a deep pass in the end zone. His knee appeared to buckle as he planted in the ground, and after evaluating him on the field, members of the training staff assisted him to the sideline.

Minutes later, as Melvin Gordon III scored the game-winning touchdown for the Broncos, Bolles went down with an ankle injury. He was able to walk off the field under his own power.

"Garett's got an ankle," Head Coach Vic Fangio said after the game. "That's all I know right now. Bryce has got a knee. I don't think it's bad bad, but to [what] extent, I don't know yet. It kind of got hyper-extended there."

The Broncos' other significant injury news this weekend came before the game. When the team announced its list of inactives, the Broncos included Von Miller, who suffered an ankle injury during the team's Week 7 game in Cleveland. Miller was held out of practice all week and did not make enough progress to give Fangio the confidence to keep him in the team's plans, he said.

"Really, [he was] not that close," Fangio said of Miller's status. "I thought on Tuesday or Wednesday he would make it, but he never made enough progress to where he could push off on it. So, I didn't want to dress him and go out there and [him] say, 'Hey, I can't go,' and we're down a guy."

On the plus side, the team did get some reinforcements with players coming off of injured reserve. The biggest addition in this regard was probably that of wideout Jerry Jeudy, who hadn't seen game action since he suffered an ankle injury in Week 1.

"I thought he played well," Fangio said. "Obviously I'll need to see the tape. I know he had a couple catches. What'd he end up with? ... Four catches for 39 [yards], and a couple of them were big, you know? I think his ankle bothered him a little bit there late, but it was a good decision to not play him last week. Obviously, he needed a week of practice, which was our decision. He was medically cleared and he wanted to play, but I just didn't feel it was the right thing to do. Hopefully he'll come out of the game feeling better. Maybe, hopefully, it just got a little callused playing football for the first time since Week 1. Hopefully we'll get a good game out of him next week."

Related Content