- WHEN: Sunday, Dec. 14; 1:25 p.m. PST.
- WHERE: Qualcomm Stadium; San Diego.
- TV: CBS.
- SERIES RECORD: Broncos lead, 58-49-1 (Broncos lead, 1-0 in the postseason).
- JOHN FOX'S RECORD: 5-3 (1-0 in the postseason).
- PEYTON MANNING'S RECORD: 7-4 (1-2 in the postseason).
- SERIES STREAK: Denver has won three straight and four of the last five in San Diego.
- LAST TIME IN SAN DIEGO: Broncos 28, Chargers 20; Nov 10, 2013. The Broncos were held
Take a look at photos from the last time the Broncos played the Chargers on the road in the regular season, Week 10 of 2013.
below 30 points for the first time in the 2013 season, but had enough explosive plays to build a lead that withstood a late Chargers rally. A 74-yard touchdown pass from Manning to Julius Thomas 5:42 into the game gave the Broncos a lead they would never relinquish. Denver eventually built a 28-6 advantage before the Chargers came back, forcing a fumble and three consecutive Broncos punts. But the Chargers couldn't get the Broncos off the field one final time in the last three minutes, and the Broncos were able to run out the clock and improve their record to 8-1. The game was Jack Del Rio's first as interim head coach; he would lead the Broncos to a 3-1 record in John Fox's absence during the most demanding quarter of the regular season.
NOTING THE GAME:
- The Broncos' current three-game winning streak in San Diego is their longest since 1997-2000. The current streak is their fourth of at least three consecutive wins at San Diego; the others came from 1986-88 and 1975-77.
- San Diego's balmy temperatures make it a gorgeous December destination. But for the Broncos, it has been a city to avoid in the year's 12th month. They have lost three straight and seven of their last eight December games at San Diego, and are 3-12 overall. (In all other months, the Broncos are 19-19 in San Diego.) The Broncos even lost a December game to the Chargers when they were based in Los Angeles, falling 41-33 on Dec. 10, 1960. The Chargers moved to San Diego the following year.
- Even though Fox was not present in person for last year's trip to San Diego, the win still counts on his career ledger, and continued his undefeated streak as a head coach at Qualcomm Stadium. In three of the wins (2008 with Carolina, 2011 and 2012 with Denver), his team rallied from a deficit in the fourth quarter.
- The Broncos have won at least one postseason game in 11 seasons. In 10 of those 11, they won at San Diego in the regular season. The exception was in 1989, when the Broncos rested John Elway for the second half of a Week 16 game at San Diego, since they had already clinched home-field advantage in the AFC postseason.
- As a starting quarterback, San Diego's Philip Rivers has more home losses to the Broncos (four) than to fellow AFC West rivals Oakland and Kansas City combined (three).