ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – The Broncos were energized for their second day of camp. It was a beautiful day in Dove Valley and the defense certainly made its presence known.
Chris Harris Jr. (knee) remains on the Physically Unable to Perform list.
Kevin Vickerson (hip) and Von Miller (knee) were limited.
Demaryius Thomas remains excused from practice to attend to funeral arrangements of his grandmother.
· During the team’s first 11-on-11 team drill, the defense thrived. After Aqib Talib nearly had two interceptions -- both key in preventing big plays for the offense -- David Bruton finally picked off Brock Osweiler and ran it in for a touchdown. He was greeted by his teammates on the sideline after the impressive play.
· Running back Ronnie Hillman’s day was busy and he had two consecutive receptions during the team’s walkthrough and then a 10-yard reception during team drills where he gained yards after the catch by tip-toeing down the sideline. Hillman showed his ability to make quick cuts and his versatility as he had multiple catches throughout the day.
· Wide receiver Jordan Norwood stood out today, with two consecutive reaching catches down the sideline from Osweiler. Despite Louis Young and Duke Ihenacho covering him closely, Norwood gained two consecutive first downs.
· Peyton Manning and Montee Ball showed some magic when Ball, who appeared to be well covered by Ihenacho, ran a fade route down the right sideline, turned to his right and the ball landed perfectly in his hands.
· The highlight of practice came from Sylvester Williams who, during 11-on-11s, saw Manning about to throw the ball and he reached up and intercepted it. After running a few steps he attempted to pitch the ball to Quinton Carter, who wasn’t quite prepared for the ball, and fumbled it. But Williams recovered the fumble.
· The rookie-covering-rookie saga continued on Thursday and Cody Latimer got the best of Bradley Roby off a post route during 7-on-7s. Latimer caught the perfectly placed pass from Manning and found the end zone.
· The defense started the day strong but the unit’s most impressive performance came during a series where Omar Bolden knocked down two passes, one intended for Greg Wilson from Osweiler. The defense capped off the series with a Louis Young interception off Osweiler’s 40-yard lob pass.
· Wilson’s performance stood out today, especially his reception in the back of the end zone. He also caught a dart from Zac Dysert and, though it was thrown behind him, he reached back for the reception. With Osweiler at the helm later, Wilson ran two consecutive corner routes, making two fantastic catches, including a jumping catch. Roby stood with him throughout the pattern, but Wilson outreached him for the ball.
· It’s hard to fully assess the progress of the defensive line without pads and not touching the quarterback, but DeMarcus Ware and Derek Wolfe put consistent pressure on the offensive line and quarterback throughout the day.
· Latimer was the first player to arrive at practice this morning.
· The Broncos listened to Eminem’s “Not Afraid” and “Song 2” by Blur during stretches.
· Bruton capped off his pick-six with an impressive backflip.
· Von Miller’s knee appeared to be healthy as he and Talib compared dance moves on the sideline.
· Sylvester Williams said the defensive line is the unit that is most excited to put on the pads Saturday.