ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos announced Tuesday that the team has waived quarterback Kyle Orton.
“We thought it was best for the Broncos at this time as well as for Kyle to catch on with a different team,” Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway said earlier on his weekly show ‘Elway Live,’ streamed on DenverBroncos.com. “Kyle is going to have more options in the NFL and he’ll get an opportunity to play somewhere else and we wish him the best of luck.”
In three seasons with the Broncos, Orton -- a seven-year veteran -- started 33 games. He started five games this season before being replaced by
“This was the right decision for our football team,” Head Coach John Fox said in a statement. “We feel good about our quarterback group, and this gives Kyle an opportunity to help another team and showcase his talents. I wish Kyle and his family all the best going forward.”
“I’d like to thank Kyle for all his work with the Denver Broncos,” Elway added. “In the three years that he’s been here he’s been an absolute pro.”